Wednesday, August 27, 2008

It's a Southern thing.................



When Jim asked me to marry him, I told him that there were two things that he had to believe in before I could ever consider spending the rest of my life with him.............1) God and 2) Bear Bryant. Yes, the Bear was already dead, but everything he stood for and believed in was still very much alive.............the Alabama Crimson Tide!


Jim knew who the Bear was, (I mean, hasn't everyone hear of the greatest coach to ever live?!?!) but, he wasn't as familiar with the stories of how the Bear thought and how he put pride in Alabama.

So, our bookshelves became filled with books about "The Bear." Jim started using the Bear's lessons on life at work! He would put up some of the Bear's famous sayings in his office and teaching them to his employees!

"Don't worry about winning personality contests with you staff. You'd better worrry about being respected. Anybody can be liked, a heck of a lot fewer respected."

"It is not an I thing, it is a WE thing."

"It's a lot better to be seen than heard. The sun is the most powereful thing I know of and it doesn't make much noise."

"Be good or be gone." (Sign in Bear's office at Kentucky)

"Work hard. There is no substitute for hard work. None. If you work hard, the folks around you are going to work harder."

"You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him to a heavy load."

"Always be totally loyal to your staff. If you are, then they'll be loyal back. Remember, loyalty and honesty are two-way streets. If you are ever dishonest to members of your staff, you'll never regain their respect."

"Motivating people is the ingredient that separates winners from losers."

"We betray our people if we fail to demand a winning attitude and the full cooperation of all concerned in all areas."

Today, I thank God everyday for my wonderful husband. He is a Christian man trying his best to be a real man of God. I know that when I ask him to pray about something that he is truly talking to God about it..............and no one says ROLL TIDE with more enthusiasm!!!!

1 comments:

Joy said...

Roll Tide!!!!!